1992 AG-5B Tiger Overheating

Home Forums Ask the Gurus 1992 AG-5B Tiger Overheating

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Stephen Kaloroplos
      Participant

I just bought a 1992 AG-5B Tiger in July and I am having an overheating problem. #3 is hot and #4 is hotter. I asked the folks at AYA. Ken Blackman (AriModsNW) was the only one who answered and I bought a baffle kit from him and will install it as soon as I get it. But I was hoping some of you might be able to weigh in with some suggestions.

I have a JPI EDM-700 which some say might be lying to me. So we switched #1 & #3 probes and the temp readings were the same.

I searched the forums here and at AYA and it looks like I am the only one with this problem. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
      Stephen Kaloroplos
      N511DM
      KCEU

Stephen Kaloroplos
      Participant

Thanks to consultations from Roscoe Rosché, Ken Blackman and Gary Vogt the problem has been resolved. We put in all new baffling but the main cowl baffles were a problem. The precut kit came with a piece that looks like a step (see attached) but when we put the lower cowl back on there was a gaping hole. We had to add material to close the gap (shown in red). Perhaps the AA and AG are different??

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Eric Rine
      Participant

Stephen – I’ve got the same issue with a 1991 AG-5B, and am ordering the Baffle kit from AirMods NW as it looks like a nice complete kit. Did you get an answer as to the difference? If not, I just want to keep my eye out for the same gap.
      Thanks
      Eric
      N12TR
      KIYK

Stephen Kaloroplos
      Participant

I liked Ken but I have to say that his baffle kit for my AG5B Tiger was not suitable. I had to custom cut the lower cowling pieces myself. I used LED lights to find gaps and found left huge gaps. An all day job and three tubes of RTV but it was worth it. Average temperatures deceased 17 degrees.

Eric Rine
        Participant

Thanks Stephen! As it turns out, I’ll turn it over to the gurus – headed to see Gary Vogt in a few weeks to get my baffling all sorted.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.