1979 AA 5A Landing Light.

Home Forums Ask the Gurus 1979 AA 5A Landing Light.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Robert Walker
      Participant

Hi, I have a 1979 Gulfstream(Grumman) AA 5A.

Need to change landing light bulb.

Removed top and bottom cover screws O.k. Left and right screws turn but refuse to come out.

Suspect captive nuts are no longer captive!

It is a single piece nose cowl, no access to back of screws.

It has been suggested I will have to drill them out but expect the screws will just spin with the drill.

So what should be a simple job looks like becoming an expensive maintenance engineer job.

The only inexpensive solution I can think off would be to cut the cover so it could be pulled out from under one of the screws and then turned out of the way on the last screw.

That should give access to the bulb.

Any advice or suggestion on the above method or an alternative method.

I have seen the mod to split the front cowl, but has it involves removing the prop it is not something I will be doing.

Roscoe Rosché
      Keymaster

Robert, Take an 1/8 inch drill bit and drill out the two offending screws. You can fly without the cover until annual time when you will have to get to the back side of the nose bowl to replace the captures.

Cheers

Roscoe

Robert Walker
      Participant

Thank you for the reply Roscoe.

As the screws turns both ways not sure they will stay still whilst the drill bites through.

I am hoping I can cut a slot by one of the screws to release the cover.

Best tool to cut the cover in situ?

Robert Walker
      Participant

New Landing light fitted.
      Used a craft knife to cut a slot in the perspex cover by the right hand screw. With top and bottom screws removed was able to ease the cover away and turn it out of the way.
      Thank you for the replies.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.