1976 Tiger project

Home Forums Restorations 1976 Tiger project

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Scott M
      Participant

I found this Tiger in a barn way up in Canada. It hasnt flown since 2006. Me and the Wife drove three straight days. loaded it on a trailer and drove it back to NJ. What a trip. I have been at it for a few months now and its a real cream puff. all original. Doing a windshield change now. Thats a special treat !. Going through it tip to tail without rushing. It was hard work getting it home but so far it was really worth it.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Drew
      Participant

Looks to be in pretty good shape for not having flown for 12 years. Find much corrosion? Paint still looks good, but I guess it’s what’s inside that matters. How about the engine – doing an overhaul on that?

Scott M
      Participant

I haven’t found a trace of corrosion. The area of Canada is supposedly very dry where I found it. Up by Edmonton. I started at the tail and worked my way forward. I am at the windshield now but the cold weather in NJ has froze me out for the winter. I don’t want to mess with the windshield bonding until it gets warmer. Then it’s on to the engine. I plan to pull two jugs to inspect the cam lobes and have a look around inside. The aircraft needs to be imported so I want to only do what is required to get a Airworthiness Certificate before doing any upgrades.

Fred A. Berardo
      Participant

Great project. I acquired a79 Tiger that was abandoned in Southern California since 2006, it was going to salvage I’ve been watching and asking about it for years. Got it after an attorneys help because the owner disappeared. Went through it was all original but found the IA that had records on it for 8 years the the last owner owned it. It’s great sold my Piper Comanche and really like the Tiger easy to fly and maintain. Went to Arizona a few years back to Roscoe and Kens workshop weekend learned a lot. Enjoy

Attachments:
      Scott M
      Participant

thanks, progress has slowed for the winter. I have been bringing things inside to work on like prop and wheel pants. doing paperwork for the import process. Getting ready to drop an obscene amount of money on avionics. So far it is in great shape.

Scott M
      Participant

Reuniting the Tiger with its wings. I found that a 2×8 on a rubbermaid cart and a 2×8 on a cut down rubbermaid cart were the perfect sizes to install the wing. My wife and I were able to do it ourselves without any issues. I know there are lots of ways to install a wing on a grumman but if you dont have 3 strong guys standing around this is a good option.

Attachments:
      Scott M
      Participant

and the little cart

Attachments:
      Scott M
      Participant

overdue for an update. I did finaly get that tiger in the air. I ended up finding a bad camshaft which meant giving all my money to Penn Yan for an overhaul. I also had to pay a D.A.R big bucks to do my import C of A. Made me cranky because the Feds use to do that for free. I also installed a Garmin comm and a Garmin XPNDR to be ADS B compliant. Then I moved the AI and DG over one hole to the right and made a cover for the empty center holes and mounted my Garmin 796 right to the panel for my poor mans EFIS. It is a pleasure to fly. I was a little nervous on my first flight. It hasnt left the ground since 2006.

Attachments:
      Richard
      Participant

Nice job bringing her back to life, and saving another Tiger!

BTW- did she come with the red lexan rudder cap? Roscoe had mentioned he was trying to find a supply to have these made, but haven’t heard anything in a long time.

Scott M
      Participant

No. I still have the original beacon. It still works for now. I want to do an engine monitor next but still trying to decide which one. the JPI stuff is nice but to get one that replaces everything is really pricey.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.